My Diasporic Diary: A Reflective Journal For Members of the DiasporaApril 22, 2020
Kalsooni is the first ever deck of Somali-English affirmation cards. Created by Anisa Hagi-Mohamed – a Somali-American diaspora, linguist, writer, poet, artist, teacher and Hooyo (mother) to three littles, Kalsooni cards is a continuation of Anisa’s work around language, culture, identity and home. Publishing a reflective journal (My Diasporic Diary) for diaspora people in 2018 and seeing its impact in breaking down barriers and helping people connect, document experiences and center mental health / wellness, Anisa decided to continue this work to keep helping her community. This time, it is with a more hands-on approach of cards that honoring both the rich oral traditions and incorporate modern mental health techniques of converting negative self-talk into positive self-talk .
- Kalsooni is a Somali word that has multiple, positive meanings in Somali of confidence, faith, good self-esteem, trust, etc.
- Additionally, one can have Kalsooni in themself or in their culture, langauge, people, humanity, etc.
- Language is access and so each card also comes with English translations of affirmations to target and cater to young and older community members alike.
- 52 Double-Sided Affirmation Cards + picture glossary
- Each card features beautifully illustrated traditional textiles & cultural symbols / artifacts.
- Honors collective spirit of Somalis with two sides for each card: Kayga (mine) and Kaaga (yours), allowing people to use cards individually or with family, friends, clients, community members, co-workers, neighbors and more.
- Inspired by great need for mental health discussions and resources in Somali community. Language is the starting point.
- Created with consultation from cultural and language teachers.
- Funded by a grant from the Waterers Funding Initiative Fund for artists and cultural bearers.
- First 30 decks of Kalsooni were purchased by Caafimaad Collective – a “Trauma-informed, Wellness-Centered—Healing Organization Focused on decreasing the barriers to self-care and empowering Somali women through the ARTS” for each of their 2021 cohort members.
- Available for North America December 15th and worldwide shipping in early 2022, inshaAllaah.
- Goal of Kalsooni Cards: Facilitate using positive, uplifting language in all community spaces – homes, schools, masjids/dugsis, non-profit and community centers, therapy clinics, hospitals, workplaces and more.
- Interviews about Kalsooni cards in St. Cloud Times, Somali TV and BBC Somalia news.
- Kalsooni cards were created locally with Saint Cloud printer Rengel Printing.
Are you ready to order your deck of Kalsooni affirmation cards?
|Dimensions||3.375 × 5.625 × 0.75 in|
Published in 2018, My Diasporic Diary is a reflective journal for members of the diaspora worldwide.
Contemplative Prompts and Artistic Challenges
Divided into 10 Sections (Home, Culture, Love, Language, etc)
Better Navigate, Document and Discuss Diasporic Experience!
Journal your Journey!
Signed by author Anisa Hagi-Mohamed